Excitement was high in South Haven in 1903 with the advent of a new lighthouse.
The South Haven Daily Tribune wrote about it:
NEW STEEL LIGHTHOUSE COMMENCED TO-DAY
A crew of ten men in the employ of the Light House service, arrived this morning, from Muskegon, via the Pere Marquette and have begun work on the foundation of the new steel light house.
The Work is under the direction of Edward Guest, superintendent of the Ninth District, and the men cannot say when the work will be completed.
A concrete foundation will be built from the water’s edge, and the stone is being thrown out for that purpose. The foundation will be the size of the present one, which is about twelve feet square, or a little more. It will require about two weeks time after which the men will do some work at Holland then return to complete the steel tower. It will probably be completed in four or five weeks.
The new tower will be the same height about 36 feet from the water.
The Daily Tribune – October 6, 1903
With a new lighthouse we will have more light on the subject.
The Daily Tribune – October 7, 1903
7th in Series – Excerpts From The Harbor Light 1872-1940 by Jeanette Stieve, published by the Michigan Maritime Museum