The best description of the first lighthouse is found in an article published in The South Haven Messenger, November 30, 1900.
The South Haven Light-House – continued (2)
The light is placed upon an iron pedestal about four feet in height and is composed of lens, prisms and reflectors, the frame-work being of copper and iron. This lamp is placed on rollers, which revolve on a metal base, so as to be easily handled.
At the back of the light are two solid silver reflectors, highly polished, which throw the ray upon the lens, these having the power to magnify a great many times, and in turn throw the stream of light out through the windows, onto the water beyond.
At the top of the lamp is a ventilator by which the heated air may escape. A flame of one and three fourths inches is carried on the burner at night, no more or less being allowed.
4th in Series – Excerpts From The Harbor Light 1872-1940 by Jeanette Stieve, published by the Michigan Maritime Museum