The lighthouse was moved in 1888, and then again in 1899 when the pier was extended.
2nd in Series – Excerpts From The Harbor Light 1872-1940 by Jeanette Stieve, published by the Michigan Maritime Museum
In 1871 a lighthouse was built on the South Pier mounting a Funk lamp of the fifth order. It was first used in 1872. This lighthouse was a wooden structure and was probably similar in plan to several others around the Great Lakes.
1st in a series – Excerpts From the Harbor Light 1872-1940 by Jeanette Stieve, published by the Michigan Maritime Museum